Sunday, May 31, 2009

Day 13 - ride over to Plovdiv

*I actually wrote in my journal on the ride over, so I'm just going to copy & paste on to here*

On our way to Plovdiv, and this ride is quite interesting. we actually took the more scenic route, and we actually were riding on roads that were built during the Communist period - and now they are filled with pot holes. These roads weren't just over hills or whatever . . . but thousand foot mountains, so pot holes were to be expected. The professors said that these roads hardly ever get any work done to them simply because there's no way to shut down the roads to work on them. . . . who knows, maybe one day they'll get fixed. Something tells me this road trip will never be forgotten. It'll definitely take some time to recover and read all this because of these pot holes, but maybe I'll figure it all out.

*Written once at the hotel in Plovdiv*

So, this bus ride took about 5 hours. It was fun though. We stopped at some war historic towns, and that's when all the material began to soak in. Tomorrow, we are goin to walk around Plovdiv, which will be fun. Also, I started writing a song that Meagan and I might perform next year for her last dance recital. It'll be a good way to end this chapter of our college friendship, and move into our adult lives. . .. that's deep.

Dinner was amazing, but incredibly difficult to get to. I wasn't expecting this, but we actually had to climb a mountain in order to get to the newer side of Plovdiv. We stayed in the "Old Town," which was simply beautiful. On our way to the town we actually passed by this,




Straight out the 2nd century, a Roman Amphitheater. How cool?! They were actually setting it up to have a ballet dancers there in a few days, but hey . . . . you do what you got to do :- ) After seeing this one, we kept walking to town only to find more Roman ruins.


This is Phillip II, who did something in Plovdiv - can't remember off the top of my head. I'll do an edit later once I remember, but below him actually was another amphitheater. It was neat.

After searching the "strip" we found a place to eat, and then we toured the town for about an hour or so. Kevin and I actually headed back to the dorms and passed out around 10:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment