Sunday, May 31, 2009

Day 15 - Sunday in Plovdiv

The idea of the Sunday morning blues does not exist in Europe. Even though I have not gone to church in quite awhile, I've got a feeling that the church is very alive here in Europe. Everywhere we go there are some amazing hotels and then there are these grand churches just blocks away from them. I've got this urge to try and find a church next Sunday when we go to the next weekend town visit and see how alive the church is here.

I'm actually sitting outside and enjoying this cool, windy European morning. The only thing that would make this morning better would be a nice dark cup of Cafe Campesino coffee. I'm really missing my job. I was getting pretty good at it, and I hope I don't lose that touch that I had going. Maybe when I get back I'll spend some time running through he recipe book that I made . . . . who knows.

Last night I got to enjoy the sounds of jazz again, and that literally lifted my spirits. The idea of hearin European jazz fusion was wonderful. I wish I could have recorded some of it, but that would have killed my photo card memory . . . I'll never leave "home" without having the camera supplies again.

I bought a necklace yesterday, but it caused my skin to break out. I guess I still cannot wear silver jewelry without breaking out. Woke up this morning with a reddish tint to my neck, and it sucks. I really liked the necklace, but I guess I'll give it to my little nephew when I get home.

I'm actually listening to my professors talk right now, and sometimes you just forget that they are human, too. I wish they were more like this during the actual school year - but I can understand why they aren't. It's been really nice getting to know them all. By far, Dr. Martin has been one of my favorite professors here. I keep forgetting that she is actually my professor back at GSW.

This town is quite beautiful. All these houses have such beautiful Spanish roof tiles, and they are so close together. We stayed in what they call "The Old Town," and it's simply another time period. The streets were made of stone, and it would only be better if there wasn't cars that lined the streets. I honestly didn't imagine that all these cars would be here - I kinda hoped there would be some historical beautification protection thing and outlaw cars in certain areas of town - but no.

It's so cool hearing Dr. Szmedra speaking french with his wife. I'm really enjoying this Bulgarian language, and I want to do something with it. I love the idea of having an educated mind in such a foreign place. It allows you to make conversation all the while being completely ignorant of the world around you.

I've got about 30 minutes until we head back to the school, so I guess I'll go pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment